Saturday, September 11, 2010

Are We Becoming Anti-Islam?

Do You Support Religious Freedom?

I've been doing some thinking about the news that there is to be a mosque and community center erected two blocks from the place where once stood the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

Do You Support Religious Freedom?Hence the question: "do you support religious freedom"? It seems that there is debate and controversy over the proposed Islamic center being built so closely to "ground zero", the site where Islamic extremists flew their hijacked planes into the twin towers on Sept. 11, 2001.

The reasoning behind this proposed center being built so closely to "ground zero" is that it is supposed to foster goodwill between the Muslim world and the rest of us (whatever we may be). Now I don't claim to know much about the Islamic religion though I am trying to understand just a little bit to see what all the hype is about. I know that a good portion of the world's population is of the Islamic faith so in reality it makes sense to try and broaden my world view so I don't carry the prejudices associated with ignorance.

We are continually told that it is just a small portion of radical Muslims that are associated with the deliberate acts of terrorism being sown among the Western world and that the majority of Muslims are a peaceful people who look down on the acts of cowardice being performed by these zealots.

I believe that simply because of the statistics. There are many Muslim countries and though most of them are not rich compared to Western standards if they decided to declare "Jihad" (holy war) on us infidels there would be a lot more happening around the world in terms of war, which there isn't. So these Jihadists or whatever one may call them (cowards come to mind) are few in number but they have sure changed our world as we know it. Who will forget the day 9/11 took place? No longer was America safe within its borders and many things have changed in this country because of it. These acts of terrorism are still fresh in the minds of most Americans and now we're being told that in order to improve goodwill and foster relations between the West and the Muslims the decision has been made to build a mosque quite near the site where many Americans died senselessly.

I for one feel that it is in very poor taste that the very religion that spawned these lunatics now wants to add insult to injury by putting a symbol of their faith on the spot where our brothers and sisters died to further some depraved group's agenda! I further feel that it is a slap in the face to America to expect the families and friends of those who died to accept this outrage under the guise of promoting goodwill and improving relations.

Our leader weighed in by saying this is America and that Muslims have the right to freedom of religion just like everyone else in this country.  Excuse me Mr. President and all the rest who think this has to do with freedom of religion! Apparently if we don't think the mosque should be built there we also are against one of America's founding principles, the right to worship your own God, in your own way.

And that's just the surface of the issue. Who says it won't become a safe haven and a launch pad for more acts of violence against us?  Islamic tradition shows that monuments were built to celebrate great victories and a mosque acknowledged the site of a great victory in the name of Allah. So is that what they are proclaiming by wanting to build a monument and mosque near the site where Islamic terrorist's declared great victory?

I just think that if they want us to become accepting of the Muslim world they should show respect to the people who died there. That is a cemetery to some because some of the bodies were never recovered.

I was always told that if you want respect for your beliefs than you must respect the beliefs of others, it's a two way street. But, and I may be wrong, I have a very hard time accepting a religion that promotes hatred and malice to a people who don't believe as them. It goes against my core beliefs and values to accept someone who will strap explosives to oneself and kill innocent men, women and children and call it a victory and proclaim " Praise be to their God". I just cannot see honor in that and will not respect those who feel it's right.

So in summary I say that I believe in religious freedom and feel that a person has the right to his beliefs and to worship the way he believes and I honestly believe that the Islamic faith does not promote that which a few extremists have shown us otherwise. But when you start trying to shove it down my throat and force your beliefs on me look out because I am going to force you to re-evaluate your tactics. The people of this country are diverse in race and religion but when you think you're going to try and hurt us because of our beliefs we stand as one.

3 Fundamental Questions About the Ground Zero Mosque

 Obama Weighs In

   Imam: Mosque near Ground Zero would prove American religious tolerance

Mosque Supporters Gather in Show of Solidarity

Many Religious Leaders Support Mosque

No comments: