Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Point To Ponder




Today is a lonely day as I sit here watching another night reluctantly loosen its grip as daybreak triumphantly claims its rightful place again.
I myself prefer the cloak of night, the darkness is a familiar friend who always wraps itself around me like a favorite garment while scaring the faint hearted into the safety of their beds as they prayerfully hope sleep overtakes them once again.
On occasion I too must submit to what I refer to as a waste of time, the body can only take so much before it forcefully takes control and I must succumb to sleep.
I am not one who morbidly yearns for death because I hate my life, I just have a different perspective concerning it because I will shed this body that can't keep up with this mind and will once again be able to move as I once did, free from the forces of gravity and able to move like the wind and the rest of nature, in harmony with creation.
I believe that the Creator made us in his own image but we somehow failed in what he wanted us to be. The reason I can say this with such confidence is I merely look round about me every day and see how nature dwells in harmony with itself. But man isn't that way, we do most everything contrary to nature, so much that we seldom feel at ease with our surroundings.
Sure one can make argument that what I say isn't true but once again I will point out to you that even our dwelling places where we are said to cohabit peacefully with our neighbors sticks out like a sore thumb. We cut our villages and towns and cities out of the wild and supposedly tame it so man can live in a civilized manner but where man goes, nature always suffers. An animal fits into its surroundings doing what the Creator designed him to do, be it predator or prey and passes through its allotted time on earth in harmony with its surroundings, leaving behind nary a trace as it fulfills its destiny.
On the other hand, man comes into life and is taught to find his niche and make his mark so that his name is not forgotten when his time is over and we strive so hard to make our name's known that we often leave a trail of disharmony in our wake, completely opposite of our counterparts living in nature. And the greater we become the more toes we step on and the more people we upset on our way to the top, because our fellows are striving for the same thing we are, fame and fifteen minutes in the limelight.
When we reach the top, are we content and satisfied that we have fulfilled our destiny? I would have to once again be at odds with most people in saying that we aren't happy when we achieve what we are told is supposed to be our goal in life. I point out the many movie stars and rock stars who have it all supposedly and yet destroy themselves after getting there and finding it lacking.
Man is different from his animal counterpart in that he is given the power of intellect, the power of reason and choice which makes him ruler over the beast of the field and the birds who fly. Is this power given to us so we are gods in our own little kingdom while we walk this short span of time? So we can see how many we can bring under our feet? So we achieve a temporal power which never really satisfies us?
Are we so arrogant in our thoughts that we can't see past our own little minds and think that a God who created all that is made us for a reason other than what our feeble finite minds can grasp or comprehend?
I challenge all who may stumble across this little muse to take a sincere look at these questions I ask and perhaps allow your spiritual side to ponder our existence for a moment, you may get a revelation of something greater than you could ever imagine or willingly admit to yourself.
I will say this in closing, we need to take lessons from nature. All of creation continually honors the one who created them, man is the only creature who disrespects the one who gives him life, even to go so far as to take away another's life when he has no power to give it back. Or worse yet, deny the very existence of the one who created him, choosing instead to believe it was some random circumstance that he came to be, evolving over time from another form? That is indeed laughable simply because you choose to lie to yourself and teach other's with such conviction that you get them to believe it too.


No comments: